Several libraries have purchased a new videorecording device called a GoChip (find out more information about GoChips). These devices have movies or TV shows pre-loaded on them, and users can view the content by sending it to a TV or computer via a USB connection or a Wireless connection. In order to circulate these items more widely and allow patrons to place holds, the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee decided to fully catalog these devices. Because GoChip is a brand name, the more "generic" name for this format will be "video media player."
The following policy changes were approved by the ILS Committee on December 5, 2018:
- Levels of Cataloging Policy: added the phrase All non-local video media players under the Videorecordings section. (This means that video media players, such as GoChips, will receive full OCLC MARC cataloging.)
- Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy: added GoChip Beam, GoChip USB as examples under Edition. (This means that the specific type of GoChip video media player will be a match point in the Edition field.)
- Videorecordings BSE Policy: add the phrase Video Media Player: include (video media player) in the title under Required Fields: Title, including sub-titles. (This means that BSEs for video media players should have (video media player) at the end of the title.)
Moving forward, library staff can now create BSE records for any video media players without an existing match in Koha. (Items that are currently on GENERIC records will be cataloged and moved to an OCLC MARC record.) The Videorecordings section of the Linking Manual has been updated to reflect the addition of video media players as a format. When creating a BSE, staff can add the following to the BSE to indicate that the item is a video media player:
- Title: (video media player)
- Edition: [GoChip Beam] or [GoChip USB]
- Note: Requires GoChip Player app.
- Added Author: GoChip