Library staff are now able to delete individual items owned by their library. SCLS staff have worked out a procedure to capture statistics for deleted items, so we have turned "on" the deleting items permissions for all staff logins that have Cataloging permissions.
Unfortunately, we do not have the capability to do batch deletes yet, as this will require development. You may continue to batch withdraw items using the Batch item edit feature. If you prefer to withdraw items rather than delete items, you may continue to do so. Or you can do both. SCLS will provide monthly reports of both withdrawn and deleted items. We will continue to batch delete withdrawn items as well.
Instructions for deleting individudal items are as follows:
1. Search for your item in Koha.
2. After you have found your item and are on the bib record screen ("normal" tab), click the Edit button and choose Edit items.
3. You should now see a list of items in a "table" format. Your library's item(s) will be listed at the top of the page. If you need to, you can use Firefox's "Find" feature to search for the barcode to be deleted.
4. After you have identified the item to be deleted, scroll to the left of the screen until you see the Delete link.
5. Click the Delete link to delete the item.
6. You will get a pop-up asking if you are sure that you want to delete the item. Click the OK button to continue and delete the item. (Note: If there are item level holds on the item, you will get a pop-up box notifying you that the item has item-level holds. Click OK to delete the item and the item-level holds.)
8. If you are deleting the last item on the bib record and there are title level holds on the item, you will get a yellow pop-up box with two buttons that will ask you if you want to delete holds. If you do want to delete holds, click the "Delete last item and all holds on this bibliographic record" button. If you do not want to delete the title level holds, click the "Delete last item, keep title-level holds" button. Unless you know that you will be adding another item to the bib record, you should delete all title level holds. Patrons will receive Hold Cancelled notices.
9. If the last item on a bib is deleted, you do not need to notify SCLS staff, as we will be identifying and deleting bibs with no items on a regular basis.
If you have questions about deleting or withdrawing items, please submit your questions using the Koha Comments and Questions form.