Guest post by Kerri.
Lots of comments have been flying around the link-announce email list. While there are still many things in need of fixing, the "What I Like About the New LINKcat" thread has highlighted some of the nice new features that aren't driving us crazy.
Some features mentioned for patrons...
- Slightly overdue books are in "red" and have the renew option already checked for the patron to renew if they want.
- Also, how it is obvious to patrons that something can't be renewed because there is already another hold on it.
- I like that, even though sometimes I do what appears to be a perfectly fine search and get less than stellar results, there are other times when I'll make a typo and what I want shows up in the results list anyway.
- Just had customer report in on what she loved: making lists, ease of doing multiples in series, that it is never down (she is a late night/very early am user).
And for staff:
- Love the dymo labels. Big, clear, clean crisp... I would never actually print them thru Koha cuz I love the flexibility we have now.
- I like it when --two seconds after someone says they are done-- I can use the back button to get into their record to check them out again. Ever heard, "Can I just check out one more item?"
- I love being able to move easily between circulation, cataloging, and holds.
- I love that the patron's checkout screen lists WHERE each waiting hold is waiting, without having to go into each item individually to check.
- Totally and completely clickable!!!!!!
- I like the fact you can bring up Koha after you have "accidentily clicked the X."
One feature that was mentioned in the thread that I hadn't heard about was hovering...
- In regards to being able to see which disc of a series a patron has checked out: she was happy to hear that hovering over the name of the series in her list would reveal the disc #... as she does a lot of suspending/unsuspending series DVDs. she'd thought it required clicks to see the full title and is just fine with 'hover.'
- Another hover tip: to quickly find the item bib number when in 'Normal' view in Koha Staff Client, hover the mouse over the left side of the item details page where the boxes for Normal/Marc/ISBD are and the bib number shows up in the url at the bottom of the screen.
Are there other features you're appreciating? Any other tricks like "hover" that you've run across? Please leave them in the comments!