Photo by Jack Dykinga
There sure are a lot of bugs online, and not just the computer glitch variety. "Catch the Reading Bug" had SCLS thinking about insects this week.
Here are some interesting places we found to look for online photos of creepy-crawlies:
Warning -- don't click on these links if you don't want to see bugs!
- The Encyclopedia of Life has a great section on Arthropods (in addition to being an amazing project for all species)
- The USDA Agricultural Research Service has a collection of Insects and Other Arthropods that relate to agriculture (like the blue orchard bee at right)
- Insect Images and Invasive and Exotic Insects
- Amazing insect photography in the Flickr Insect Close-Ups Pool
- And more! Any good recommendations?
As with any online photography, remember to check copyright restrictions before using these images on handouts or websites.
Thanks to Deb Haeffner and Shawn Brommer for sharing the tip!