At the SCLS Annual Meeting in April, the group did an exercise with the Library Responsibilities document to identify the values behind the statements -- what are the things we as a group value and want to be present in the relationships within the SCLS community?
The small groups had good discussions, and created a list of value statements. The group then voted for their favorite value(s) for each broad responsibility statement. Here are the top vote-getters:
- We value working together in a spirit of collaboration and mutual respect, compromising as necessary to achieve the greatest value for the common good.
- We are committed to continuous learning, and we will strive to be innovative. We will use responsible communication to ask for what we need and to provide feedback. We believe that internal training and education is an important staff investment.
- We value teamwork and cooperation, listening and contributing to the planning and decision-making process.
- As members of SCLS, we will anticipate advancements in emerging technology and embrace the new possibilities.
- We value a unified vision that supports the best possible service for the greatest number of people.
Attendees signed on to these value statements. If you missed the annual meeting, don't worry! You'll have other opportunities to sign on to the value statements!