WORK DESTINATION - Where do your residents commute for work?
For grant applications, I was looking for data that showed where residents in our community commute for work. I live in Green County, but there are a lot more grant opportunities in Dane County so I set off to find data to answer this question:
How many New Glarus (Green County) residents work in Dane County?
It turns out that the Census Bureau provides this information via their OnTheMap tool: https://onthemap.ces.census.gov/. Here are 10 steps I used to find the answer:
- Enter Geographic Area (e.g. New Glarus).
- Select Type of Area (e.g. County Subdivision = New Glarus village (Green, WI)). For definitions of geographic areas, see the United States Census Bureau Geographic Areas Reference Manual: https://www.census.gov/geo/reference/garm.html.
- Select Perform Analysis on Selection Area.
- Select Home/Work Area = “Home”.
- Select Analysis Type = “Destination” and select Destination Type = “County Subdivision". Be sure to check out the “Inflow/Outflow” analysis type too!
- Select Year (e.g. 2015).
- Select Job Type (e.g. Primary Jobs).
- Select GO!
- Select Number of Results = “All”.
- Select Detailed Report and export to your desired format.
I then repeated this search for the Town of New Glarus. Give it a try, and then check out some of the other Data Tools and Apps provided by the US Census Bureau: https://www.census.gov/data/data-tools.html.