OverDrive Kindle compatibility is here!
Kindle compatibility is now available for almost all ebooks in the Digital Download Center. (Audiobooks are not Kindle-compatible.)
How to identify Kindle-compatible ebooks
"Kindle Book" is an additional format that may be listed for ebook titles. The number of copies available to check out has not increased, but for ebook titles where multiple formats are available, patrons will have a choice of format.
Kindle devices supported
Supported Kindle devices include any generation Kindle device, all free Kindle apps, and web browsers with Kindle Cloud Reader. Public library ebooks require an active Wi-Fi connection for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. An Amazon.com account is also required.
How to download a title for use with Kindle
- Visit the Digital Download Center.
- Browse and check out a Kindle book.
- Click the 'Get for Kindle' button. This opens the Amazon.com website. You may be required to sign in with your Amazon.com account if you are not already logged in.
- Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app. Click the 'Get library book' button and sync your device or app to download the book, or choose to send it to your device via USB.
- An active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. Library books will not be delivered via the Kindle's 3G connection.
- If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, read Amazon's instructions for transferring files via USB.
- OverDrive's Help for Kindle Books
- Amazon's Public Library Books for Kindle Help
- My Help wizard (found in the left sidebar of the Digital Download Center)