Library in a Box
Lending machines for books got some press a couple of years ago when Brodart had one at ALA. Books in vending machines isn't a new idea and apparently they've been popular overseas for some time time, though more in a "vending" than "lending" way.
What's happened since then?
Library lending machines came up for a brief discussion at an SCLS Technology Committee meeting. Result of discussion: "interested libraries should find out more about them."
Some libraries across the country have implemented them.
- One library's experience with 2 different projects:
- At the grocery store: "Pick Up a Book or DVD With Those Groceries"
- At a tourism center on Highway 27 (Polk County, FL)
- At train stations in California, and New York:
- Contra Costa County has dubbed their effort "Library-a-Go-Go" (love the name!) and has machines in multiple locations
- Brodart: http://www.books.brodart.com/Content3.aspx?P=114
What do you think about library lending machines?