Guest Post: OverDrive app for the iPhone and iTouch
Hello! This is Trish Priewe, co-director at LDI, and I'm a iTouch geek! I don't have an iPhone (because Verizon coverage is bad in Lodi), but I'm itchy, irritable and distracted if I don't have my iTouch to access email, calendar, music, games, maps, photos, blah, blah, blah... I don't go anywhere without it.
Previously, those of us who listen to audiobooks on any mp3 player had to 1) download the audiobook into the OverDrive media console on a computer, and then 2) transfer the audiobook from the computer to our player. But on Wednesday, April 22 OverDrive rolled out an iPhone app. It's free - you just go to the App Store, search for OverDrive, and download the app. Once you've got the OverDrive app, you can download directly to the device - no computer! One step!
Here's the process:
- Download the app to your iPod
- Using your browser (Safari), surf to the library's OverDrive page
- Pick out your book and go through the checkout process (you must choose a book for iPod in mp3 format only - wma format will not work)
- When it comes time to click to download the book, press the button. Automatically Safari closes and OverDrive media console opens
- Touch the book title, and it will tell you it hasn't been downloaded. Say "yes"
- Touch the button on the right for any book sections you want to download (you don't have to do the whole book at once)
- After download, just touch to begin playback
I think one cool thing is that the app automatically bookmarks your stopping point - no more hunting! You can also add bookmarks where ever you like.
This app is brand-spankin' new, and really I have only begun playing with it. But it's pretty self-explanatory for those who are already using an iPhone or iTouch - and I think your patrons will be really happy this is finally possible. I know I was!