Our subscription for our current antivirus software, Sophos, will be expiring soon. SCLS technology staff have researched and priced out options, and the verdict is in: we'll be switching to Kaspersky Endpoint for antivirus protection.
We've already installed Kaspersky for pilot testing here at SCLS Headquarters and also at 2 libraries. We'll be starting the installs for the rest of the SCLS-supported PCs next week (the week of July 22nd).
Here are the details for the Big Antivirus Switcheroo of 2013:Who: SCLS-supported Patron and Staff PCs (laptops will be tackled at a later date)
What: Will be moving from Sophos AV to Kaspersky AV
When: The week of July 22nd
What you'll need to do:
- Always make sure your SCLS-supported PCs are left on at night
- Staff PCs -
- Close all programs
- Log out
- Leave the PCs powered on (monitors may be turned off)
- Patron PCs - leave patron PCs powered on as usual
- Staff PCs -
- Please be patient. We have around 1100 PCs on the SCLS network. The installs will be spread out throughout the week.
- Report any problems to the Help Desk.
What you'll need to know:
- When your staff PC has successfully received Kaspersky, the AV icon in the system tray will change from or to .
- Patron PCs will not have a Kaspersky icon in the system tray.
- If the install on your PC is NOT successful next week, don't worry -- SCLS staff will schedule some follow-up work in upcoming weeks.
- Additional information about Kaspersky can be found in this Kaspersky FAQ (pdf).
Have questions? Please leave a comment or contact the SCLS Help Desk.