Originally presented Tuesday, September 6, 2011.
Digital materials are being downloaded in almost unimaginable quantities, and resources available through the public library are no exception. The Wisconsin Public Library Consortium (WPLC) is exploring the feasibility of a Statewide Digital Media Buying Pool. This webinar to further explore the options available to member libraries, and the potential costs. The presenters for this online workshop (open only to SCLS member public libraries) are Molly Warren and Martha Van Pelt. More information is available at http://www.scls.info/committees/ac/index.html.
Explanation of numbers on Slide 2:
- SCLS contracted with OverDrive in 2005. The service started with audiobooks.
- In 2009, ebooks were added to the collection.
- 200 is the approximate number of items in both audiobook and ebook initial collections.
- 12,587 is the number of total items in the collection as of December 31, 2011.
- 16,115 is the total number of items in the collection as of July 31, 2011.
- 34,000 is the number of public domain ebooks available through OverDrive.
- 46.7 % is the increase in SCLS OverDrive usage from January-June 2010 to January-June 2011.
- 61% is the increase only for January of 2010 comparing to January of 2011.
- 55,990 is the number of SCLS checkouts for all of 2010.
- 54,846 is the number of SCLS checkouts for January - August of 2011!
Recording is no longer available (6/28/13)