Twice a year we run cumulative reports of items that have certain problem items statuses that are eligible for batch deletion, according to SCLS procedure. These reports help libraries keep track of older, problem items and give them the chance to take appropriate action on these items, according to their local policy, or leave them for the annual batch deletion.
Typically, the reports are run each November and May. Items that appear on the May reports but are not modified or resolved are batch deleted in July. Items that appear on the November reports are there to let the libraries start working on the list of items that will be included on the May reports so there are not so many items to deal with before the actual deletion in July. Any items that are not resolved will appear again on the report run in May 2017.
Libraries need to review these reports and
- Decide if they are going to keep the record of the item, or the item itself in the case of Damaged items, or
- Delete the record from the database, or
- Leave it and let the annual batch deletion process delete the record the database.
If a library does not already have workflow for reviewing these reports, here are some questions to ask to see if the status of the item can be changed. This list is not exhaustive.
- Were broken items mended?
- Were replacement parts ordered?
- Did patron pay for damages?
- Were magazines with Current Issue/No CKO status correctly updated?
- Were items marked as In Processing correctly checked in?
- Do patrons with “Lost items” need to be reminded about payment?
The November 2016 Annual Batch Deletion problem reports are:
- ABD Damaged. This report is posted on the Reports page, Batch Deletion folder.
- ABD Other (Missing Inventory, Lost in Transit). This report is posted on the Reports page, Batch Deletion folder
- ABD Lost (Lost, Missing, Trace). A "hidden" link to this report is emailed to the Director of each library because it contains patron information. This report is not posted on the Reports page.
Items with a status of Claims Returned, AV Repair, Defect Reported, Mending, In Processing and Parts Missing are not included in the Annual Batch Deletion.