- I need to buy a new lawn mower. Do you have Consumer Reports to see if they've reviewed mowers lately?
- I'm interviewing at American Family in Madison. Can you help me find out more information about the company?
- Do you have any information on SMEs? What does that even mean?
To find the answers to those questions (and many more), we'll look at the Business resources of EBSCOhost. The search options outlined in my previous EBSCOhost post can be used here - and in other EBSCOhost resources. For today's post, we'll focus on a couple other ways of finding information.
First, let's look at Consumer Reports*. Because we know the name of the publication the patron wants, let's start there. In the toolbar, select Publications. Then, type in the publication name in the lower search box to browse publications. Then select the publication you're interested in—Consumer Reports in this case.
On the next screen, you have a couple of options. If you know the issue date, you can navigate directly there. Or, my favorite, you can "Search within this publication." When you select this option, simply add your keyword(s) to the search bar and search. This is a time-saver when your patron knows the magazine or newspaper they're interested in.
On to the next question. Next to Publications on the Toolbar is Company Profiles. There are over 10,000 company profiles and 2,400 industry profiles from MarketLine available in EBSCOhost. Similar to the Publications search, either browse for your company name or enter it in the search box. From there, you can download a PDF profile on your company. You can also search other sources for your company.
Next is the Thesaurus—next to Company Profiles on the toolbar. If you're not finding the results you expect with your keyword, check out the Thesaurus to see the subject terms used in the database. Type in SMES and see what you come up with.
Want to know the answers to the questions asked above? Take this quiz and you'll see them when you submit yours.
What You Need to Know
*In addition to Consumer Reports through EBSCOhost and BadgerLink, 24 SCLS libraries subscribe to the online version. Access outside subscribing libraries is available for patrons with a valid library card who have designated a subscribing library as their home library.
Additional Training Resources
- Learn how to find articles about business topics in this 20-minute BadgerLink webinar
- Watch EBSCO tutorial videos on YouTube:
- Business Searching Interface (4:16)
- Business Source - Basic Searching on EBSCOhost (4:31)
- Business Source - Advanced Searching on EBSCOhost (4:03)
- EBSCO Business Searching Interface User Guide